Monday, March 20, 2017

Julie Meyer to Premier at American Craft Show

by Cindy Lindgren


Tell us about yourself, your Etsy shop and how long you've been a member of HandmadeMN
In 2008 I stumbled on a link to Etsy and opened my shop about 2 months later selling oil cloth lunch bags and trimmed cleaning gloves. I became a member of HandmadeMN shortly after joining Etsy and joined in on those early meetings at coffee shops as we devised the ‘how-to’s’ of running team craft shows.
Julie Meyer in her studio

How did you get started as a handbag designer?
I spent a few years working with fabric and canvas honing my skills and bag engineering designs before I purchased my industrial machine and first few leather hides. I construct each bag from design to hand-cutting leather, and construction of bags with finished interiors.
I enjoy using quality top grain leather and hair-on cowhides to create bags that are meant to be used everyday and become more beautiful with age.


What is the American Craft Council show and why did you decide to enter to show there?
The American Craft Council began 75 years ago as a way to support professional makers and recognize the significant impact craft has on individuals and communities.  When ACC moved to St. Paul several years ago, HandmadeMN was asked to participate in the St. Paul show where I nervously did an upcycle presentation using plastic bags. I was in awe of the quality of handmade items I saw that day, and knew this was the pinnacle of where I wanted to showcase my items when I was ready.


How are you designing your booth and what will you display in it?
I’ve been spending a lot of time thinking about the look of my display and how people will move through my booth. The booths at ACC are larger and people spend more time browsing than they might at a typical craft show. I’m planning my space as if it’s a little store for lingering versus how can I grab the attention of someone strolling by in a crowded craft show.


Who is this show geared towards and what do you expect to accomplish?
People come to indie art shows generally with someone in mind they are shopping for: sister, friend, mother, etc. I believe those coming to ACC are shopping for themselves. They are looking for something of quality for themselves and I’m excited to share with them the bags I make!

What are the dates, place and times of the show?

St. Paul RiverCenter
(admission is $12 except where noted)

April 6: 6-9pm (preview party; $75)

April 7: 10am - 8pm ($5 after 5)

April 8: 10am - 6pm

April 9: 11am - 5pm


Julie Meyer/Etsy shop

Congratulations to Julie for reaching her goal of exhibiting at the American Craft Show! I encourage you to attend to see not only Julie's work but other topnotch artisans from around the country.

5 comments:

The Violet Hoarder said...

Fantastic news! Congratulations, Julie. Could you tell us a little bit about the process of application, interview, selection, etc. I've been to the show, but know very little about how anyone is chosen for it. Again, best of luck with sales!

Sharon Parker said...

Yay! Congratulations, Julie!

Unknown said...

Thank you The Violet Hoarder,
Here is what I posted on Facebook about the application process:
The application process includes filling out an application, writing an artist statement and submitting five photos. Applications are grouped into four categories (clothing, jewelry, glass & ceramic, and all other media). The application process for 2018 is June 1st - Aug 9th. You can find a lot of detailed information about how to apply and the selection process here under shows:

Sharon Parker said...

Thanks for sharing that info, Julie! Looks like the link got dropped, I'll try again: CraftCouncil.org

Shelly Daood said...

Wow! Fantastic and artistic. Thank you for sharing your process and story. It's wonderful to see people's art take on form and function. Have a wonderful show!