Sunday, November 24, 2013

Getting to know MinneBites


Mary Pow is the creator of the handmade indie 
brand MinneBites. She is a designer with a Master’s of Architecture degree. She lives in Minneapolis with her husband and their three children. She sneaks into her cozy home studio to design and sew whenever she gets a chance.

Creative Journey
Years ago, my husband and I went to check out a huge craft fair on one of our rare dates without the kids. As we walked through the show I remember being amazed at all the talent and creativity I saw there. But more than that, I remember that I left the show inexplicably sad, and even jealous.

As I look back now, I understand why I felt that way. It seemed that I could never achieve or have time for what those crafters got to do. I was a stay-at-home mom with two boys under the age of 2-1/2. I had recently left my job at an architectural firm. I had no creative outlet and I was disappointed that I wasn’t using the degree I had worked so hard to achieve. I was only “mom” and, although I loved my life, I felt stuck and unfulfilled creatively.

I never would have guessed that, just a few years later, I would be designing and selling handmade bags and cases to customers all over the world. In fact, the path I took to get me to where I am now has seemed to appear almost magically before me. All I had to do was follow my heart (and work really hard!).

The amazing path I’ve followed led me to a job that is both artistically rewarding and flexible enough to allow me to take care of my three kids. And, although people may imagine that all I do is sew, sew, sew – having an online shop and running a handmade business is more than just making the craft itself. In addition to sewing my bags, I do product photography, photo editing, and graphic design. I spend time hunting for supplies, choosing fabrics and suppliers, and creating new designs. Furthermore, I write copy for listings, talk with customers, interact with Facebook fans, and continuously improve my online shop and products. 

I’ve come full-circle since I left that craft fair feeling inadequate and sad. In fact, this December I’m going to be a vendor at that very same craft fair: the Holiday No Coast Craft-o-Rama in Minneapolis! I will get to sell my own handmade wares at the very place where I thought it was something I could never possibly do.

I feel so excited and satisfied to be at this place in my life. And I want to thank you for allowing me to share my creative journey with you! I hope to see you all at the 2013 Holiday No Coast Craft-o-Rama (Dec. 6 & 7 at the Midtown Global Market). Stop by my booth and say hello!

MinneBites has been featured on Apartment Therapy, Babyology, Cool Mom Picks, Daily Candy, Buzzfeed, Child Mode, Illustration Friday as well as numerous blogs and websites.



Holiday No Coast Craft-o-Rama 2013
Location:
Midtown Exchange
2901 Chicago Avenue S. Minneapolis, MN 55104

Dates and Times:
Friday, December 6: 3pm-8pm
Saturday, December 7: 9am-5pm




1 comments:

Sharon Parker said...

How interesting to read about Mary's story and the person behind MinneBites! Best wishes at the Craft-O-Rama!