by Andrea of Sacred Suds
As online sellers, we are limited to one sense - our sense of sight - for giving buyers a complete five-senses sensory experience. When buyers are browsing online, they cannot feel, smell, taste, or hold an item in their hands to turn it over and look at it from all angles. So it is up to us, the sellers, to create that experience for them using two devices: photographs and item descriptions.
I recently did a sensory exploration, where I focused each day on one of my five senses, and journalled periodically about what I experienced. It was a fantastic writing exercise, and it made me realize that your senses are EXCELLENT tools for writing item descriptions. What I'd like to do here is invite you, the reader, to use your senses to help the featured artist describe an item from their Etsy shop. This week's item is this Fun Yellow Fused Glass Pendant from Wild Dog Studio:
How would YOU describe this item? Leave a comment here on the blog with some descriptive words or phrases. Be adventurous! Feel free to grab a thesaurus, consult this color list, and use any or all of these as jumping off points:
1) What are the first three things that come to mind when you see this?
2) What does it look like? Use colors, shapes, size
3) What would it feel like? Think textures, temperatures, how it would feel in your hands, on your skin
4) If it were a smell, what would it be?
5) If it were a taste, what would it be?
6) What kind of sound would this make?
Thanks, and we can't wait to see what you come up with!