Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Inspire Me

by Cheri of From Out of the Cracks

“Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Where does that creativity come from? What was the inspiration, the spark? Do you go somewhere to get inspired?

Here is our featured HandmadeMN artist Kathy Van Schepen from Vantastic Designs where she creates a little of this and a little of that. You can also check Kathy out on her Blog, Twitter and Facebook fan page.

Kathy says most of her inspiration comes from brain storming with her friend and mentor, Brenda, but it could be something as simple as a screen saver or a view out her window. “I have found that I am a very visual person and more often than not it is something I have seen that inspires me. As an example I will tell you about my wall hangings "Agapanthus". I was working on my computer one day and out my window I could see one of my gardens. It was a warm summer day and there was a slight breeze. The blooms on my Egyptian Nile lilies were bobbing their heads to the movement of the breeze saying good morning to me. For the next several days, whatever I was doing, the purple blooms were still in my head bobbing away, they just would not settle down! I finally cleared off the kitchen table, got out all my wet felting supplies and laid out the two wall hangings and Voila!”


“The wall hangings were laid out with Merino wool roving which had been carded with a small amount of cotton. On top of the white roving I laid out the flowers that I had cut out from wool prefelt. The stalk is Ozark homespun and the leaves are Merino roving. On top of the flower display I laid a small amount of the white roving. I added a rod pocket on the back so they would be easy to hang. Then the fun began...warm water and soap to felt the design! A little muscle and elbow grease and the wall hangings were complete, just needed time to dry and they were done!"