Wednesday, December 9, 2009

My Minnesota

by Marnie of Crafterall

On a trip to England over the summer, my relatives took me to a park by a lake in the center of the country. The lake had been blasted and carved out of the land to form a sustainable reservoir for the surrounding farm lands. As one of the only sizable bodies of fresh water in the region, it was a popular tourist destination. Looking out over the neatly edged curvature of this lake, I recognized how very lucky if not downright spoiled I am to live in the "land of 10,000 lakes."

Minnesota is rich with state and regional parks. It's no wonder since so many of these parks feature scenic waterways, crystal clear lakes, and amazing geographical attributes caused by retreating glaciers thousands of years ago. For some of the most breathtaking geological landscapes I've ever seen, one of my favorite state parks is Frontenac, located on the Lake Pepin area of the Mississippi river.


(photo credit here)

With switchback trails running up and down the river embankment, miles and miles or mystic woodlands, and a full-service campground, this park has a lot to offer any camper. But what I love most of all is the topography of the entire region: the big river so much more mighty than it is near my hometown of Bemidji, the coulees eating their way into the river walls, the magnanimous bluffs full of legends, and the two states whispering to one another across the ripples of the river. Just look at this fascinating topography:



I wouldn't know it at the time, but my visits to Frontenac State Park as a child have inspired my current topographical artwork. When setting my cutting blade into the cardstock, I sense the curves of the riverbank, the mystery of the water's depths, and the beauty of nature's own masterpiece.



What inspires you about your favorite state park?

1 comments:

Glorious Hats said...

Oh yes! Marnie, a wonderful article. It is the topographical aspect also that draws me to your work. Really enjoyed reading about why you create in this style.

For me, it is the things that fall onto the forest floor. The nuts, the leaves, the branches.