Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Freeing Your Creative Mind

by Sue of Sue Pariseau Pottery



My son, Zack, is a fellow blogger and during a recent visit home from school, he and I discussed a common problem we share. It seems we both occasionally have trouble coming up with topics for blog posts. My blog is about pottery and though I sometimes deviate to other topics, I often feel I’ve covered all pottery topics and lack for a creative direction to take my blog.

Zack, being the thoughtful person he is, gave me a book for Christmas titled Thinking Write by Kelly L. Stone. This book is a fairly easy 200 page read providing “the secret to freeing your creative mind” and includes a CD with guided meditations. Who couldn’t use a secret to freeing their creative mind?

I’m only a couple chapters into the book, but I already see how this information could spark creativity in my pottery work as well as my blogging. While it is certainly targeted at writers, the information is easily adaptable to any creative pursuit. All of us can lose our creative energy when faced with deadlines to get projects done and the tedious paper/computer work of running Indie Businesses.



My drain on creativity is my home work space. It's a cramped and crowded garage mostly of my own doing. Chapter 15 is about creating a sacred writing (pottery) space. I'll have to pay special attention to that chapter.

If you’re struggling with writer’s block, creative freeze, or artistic burnout, consider a little diversion into Thinking Write to unleash your creativity.



7 comments:

Amanda said...

That's wonderful! I'm always looking for ways to change those slow creative times. Thanks for the info!

Moondoonie said...

Thanks for sharing this info. I'm going to order this book today!

Toni said...

I need this book! Thanks Sue!

prayer bedes said...

I want this book! Thanks, Sue!

Sara said...

Great hint! I'll have to check it out. Thanks for sharing.

Corrin said...

Can't wait to get that book, what a great little post!

Rita said...

Sounds like a fantastic book - just ordered it! I too have an issue with my work space so it will be interesting to see what suggestions it has. rita w