Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Craft Tutorial: A Simple Way to Tie a Sliding Knot

by MaryAnn Cleary of Spirit River Studio

This week as I made up a few pendants, I needed a way of adding a cord. I looked at putting on sterling silver end caps and then a sterling silver clasp, but the cost seemed high for what I was trying to do. I wanted to use a rattail cord or some high quality leather. How about a sliding knot? After making one, I realized that these would be a nice and simple touch. The length could easily be adjusted for the wearer, and there were no weird maneuvers needed to put the clasp together when putting on the pendant. Just pull apart, slip over one's head and adjust the length.

Sliding Knot for necklaces:

I used part of an old ball point pen, but a straw would work well, too.


1. Overlap ends. Lay the empty pen cylinder above the overlapped ends and drop one end across the cylinder. This will be the working end. Wrap this end around the cord and cylinder three times.



2. Insert the working end into the empty cylinder.



3. Pull out the cylinder with the working end cord coming along with it.


4. Pull tight, adjusting as you go.


5. A finished sliding knot.



6. Repeat on the other side.

1 comments:

Kellybot said...

Holy cow! I've been wondering how to make one of these. Thanks!