Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Eight Questions with...Katherine Arcand.

by Kat Lewinski



Meet Katherine Arcand. Katherine lives in Minneapolis with her cat Dagny. When she's not busy making things for her store she's an Administrative Assistant at Children's Cancer Research Fund, a local non-profit. You can find Katherine at her Etsy store, The Musical Kitten and her blog also known as The Musical Kitten.








1. What types of items do you sell in your store?

I sell jewelry made from guitar picks. I try to play to both genders as much as possible. I’m working on some accessories, too. So far I’ve got a belt and book marks!
2. Where do you get your inspiration?

I joke that my design for the “fancy” style of necklaces in my store came to me in a dream, but it really did. I dreamed I had this awesome necklace and woke up thinking “I bet you I could make that…” sure enough, I went to a supply store and made 6 that day. I still have the original. Other than that, I am constantly looking at jewelry at stores and trying to figure out ways to make similar items, but affordable ones for the indie kids I know.

3. Do you have a specific space where you do most of your work?

Sprawled out on my living room floor! There have been a few times I’ve just taken a whole weekend, dumped my supplies out and just crawled around my living room from pile to pile as I made things. Even after a thorough cleaning, I still find jump rings and clasps stuck to my feet! I really need a better system. :D
4. When did you first start crafting?

I’ve been crafting since I was in elementary school. I’ve always liked to know how things are made and DiY was a favorite pastime for me. Of course, as I got older the crafts got more complex. Safety pin brooches turned into hand knit scarves, but I’ve always been making SOMETHING.

5. Do you do any crafts or art beyond what you sell?

Goodness yes. I scrapbook, knit, crochet, make replications of jewelry (for friends who have that one pesky earring go missing) etc. I also write and play guitar (both things I consider art!) when I have time.
6. What are your favorite places to buy supplies?

Etsy typically has everything I need. If I need to pick up something quicker than shipping allows, I head to Michael’s or Bobby Bead. For my picks, it’s a lot of sleuthing on eBay and internet searching. I like to try to find picks I don’t see used anywhere else.

7. What is the best thing you've ever done to promote your etsy store?

In all honesty, I haven’t done much. I really should, but I’m kind of in the dark on this one. The best thing I think I did was buying business card sized magnets and attaching my card to those to send off with purchases. That way my business card is functional and is on the fridge as a reminder! Also, I send a business card inside every book I mail from PaperBackSwap.com just for posterity!

8. What other etsy store(s) do you really like?

I could go on for days, but here are a few I haunt a lot:
Ellen's DiY
Kellybot
Carambatack Design
Cynical Redhead Creations
Kitty Baby Love
Mud Hutt Studio
Edith and Lulu
This Years Girl


If you are a member of HandmadeMN & would like to be featured in Eight Questions email me at katbaro at yahoo dot com.

2 comments:

Kat said...

Yeay! Thanks for this. You made my Wednesday!

Kellybot said...

Thanks for the love Kat! It was cool to learn a little more about ya.