Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Eight Questions with...Wilma Travis

by Kat Lewinski


Meet Wilma from Crystal, MN. Wilma is the single parent of three children & has 2 grandchildren. Her two oldest live in NY while her youngest son lives with her as he has a traumatic brain injury. Unfortunately, she has been unemployed since January & is looking for a job. You can find Wilma in three different places on the web; her Etsy store, Wilma's Whimsey's, her website, Wilma's Whimsey's and her blog, Wilma's Whimsey's 


1. What types of items do you sell in your store? 

Currently in my Etsy store I sell handmade Lampwork beads, and on my website I sell both my handmade lampwork beads, and Jewelry and gifts made from my beads
2. Where do you get your inspiration?

Inspiration comes from sitting in front of my torch looking at the selection of rod colors that I have and deciding what to make. Other inspiration comes from watching commercials to see what kind of jewelry they are wearing, and what the new color trends are for the season. See TV is good!

3. Do you have a specific space where you do most of your work?

All of my torching is done in the downstairs family room which has a concrete floor. we took the rug up and divided the room into lounge for TV watching and me for torching. My jewelry making is done upstairs in the what used to be dining room. We don't eat anymore hahaha...actually we eat in front of the TV

4. When did you first start crafting?

My first crafting began when I was a teenager and learned how to sew, knit and crochet. I have done many crafts since then, always finding something new to try until I finally found lampwork and jewelry making.
5. Do you do any crafts or art beyond what you sell?

Currently I am trying to learn more things to use my beads in, like hemp (macramé (sp) ), wire wrapping, Viking knit and chain malle

6. What are your favorite places to buy supplies?

I guess it would be online at any one of the best glass dealers such as Frantz or Howaco Glass. I love to trade my beads for gems or findings with my cyber buddies or anyone who likes to trade. Last year I traded my jewelry for a beautiful handbag.

7. What is the best thing you've ever done to promote your etsy store?

I belong to a couple of wonderful teams, one of them is eSMArts, which is a group on promoting and marketing your items. The most wonderful thing I did was to donate to the team store which is set up to sell our team items and use the money to help those in need. The team store is http://www.esmarts.etsy.com.
8. What other etsy store(s) do you really like?

I have a few store that I really like, most of them deal with gems and findings, but I truly love m5creations and Glorious Hats as well as Artistic EditionsThe Cozy Corset Cuff, JanRa Jewelry Designs, Drew Jaeger, Danger Kitty Designs, The Snuggery, Kellybot, and pinwithfury.

If you are a member of HandmadeMN & would like to be featured in Eight Questions email me at katbaro at yahoo dot com.