Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Eight Questions with...Sarah Stone

By Kat Lewinski

Meet Sarah Stone. Sarah lives in the south suburbs of Minneapolis with her soon-to-be 4-year old daughter, Fifi, who has an insatiable thirst for art, music & robots, and their household feline shaman, Parrish. When Sarah found herself unemployed for several months after working as an art gallery Director & Event Coordinator she was inspired to give Etsy a try. She told her family if she had three sales in the first two months she'd keep at it but, if not, she'd continue her lack-luster job search. Well, she made seven sales in the first week, so at the moment, other than active parent duty, she's doing Etsy morning, noon and night. You can find Sarah on her blog, Retro Vertigo, and on her Etsy store, also called Retro Vertigo.

1. What types of items do you sell in your store?

"Pretension-free vintage goods and inspired handcrafts." Right now I'm really digging antique buttons. It's an fascinating art-form that I never knew existed until recently.
2. Where do you get your inspiration?

Unfiltered wit, oddity, noise, silence, subtlety, asymmetry, balance, intuition, grace, beauty, whimsy, shamelessness, nature, language, art, culture, alchemy, candor, food, history, color, pattern, variety, communication, rhythm, shape, curiosity... Really, I can be inspired by nearly anything -- often when least expected or obvious.

3. Do you have a specific space where you do most of your work?

I'm commonly near a large window in my house, but when weather permits, I prefer working outside on my gigantic porch.
4. When did you first start crafting?

 I believe I began creating when I was old enough to hold a crayon -- I'm guessing that'd been around 2 years old I imagine. When I was 5, my parents entered one of my pieces into a juried art show and I won 1st place. After that there was no question in my mind (or my parents') that I was destined (or at least determined) to make art for the rest of my life.

5. Do you do any crafts or art beyond what you sell?

 Absolutely, I'm what I like refer to as an "Executive Dabbler". No art-form is safe by me -- I must try them all at least once! However my all-time favorite is sketching from life. Straight-forward, uncomplicated and pure Zen when I make time for it.
6.  What are your favorite places to buy supplies?

 In order:
 1. garage sales
 2. freecycle
 3. thrift stores
 4. estate sales
 5. Tie: Penco & Dick Blick

 
7. What is the best thing you've ever done to promote your etsy store?

My store was featured in a Storque article. (However, that was just plain luck.) Check it out here 

8. What other etsy store(s) do you really like?

That's impossible to narrow down - there are so many! Here are just a few items I've lusted after though:
Little Anchorman - Ron Burgundy
Robot Gang
MIXMASTER sterling silver necklace
Minimoog
Melvins Screenprinted Poster

If you are a member of HandmadeMN & would like to be featured in Eight Questions email me at katbaro at yahoo dot com.

1 comments:

Kellybot said...

I too am fascinated with buttons at the moment. There is such a rich variety of materials, styles, etc. It's addictive.
ps - I own a little Ron Burgundy from Kezzaroo. It's just as awesome in person.